Monday, August 9, 2010

Berlin Wall- Rough outline

I've begun constructing the wall. Not too complicated yet. Going by images and drawings, with people standing next to it for scale, is making the task much easier.

There is a slight taper when looking from a profile with it narrowing at the top. The top of the wall was made of sewer pipe to make to make it difficult to get a good grip. And how I'm going to make that, with the materials I have at hand, is beyond be at the moment.

The wall is made of sheet styrene with balsa wood sandwiched between. I put a couple shims at one end to help with the taper. I then textured the surface with Liquitex modeling paste, let dry then sanded down to give it a rough surface like a cheaply formed concrete slab.

The image of JFK was inspired by one made by an artist from California (more on him later). What I'm showing is the begining stages of the "graffito" portrait. I used an image from the internet and printed out a "wallet" size picture. Then, I used carbon paper to trace an outline of his features and the rest was painted in. Note, as of this posting, I have re-done the one being shown and will explain later why.

Oh, I've put composition of the scene aside and leave the decision to the person who has interest in the piece.





2 comments:

Gary Dombrowski said...

Jason, Great job on JFK so far. As for the top of the wall, if you don't have tube styrene the diameter you need you can always roll out some putty. You could try to drill the center out if you need it to be hollow because of it being a cross section. ~Gary

Jason said...

Thanks Gary. It seems like I hunted all over town for styrene tube yesturday...Just 4 Fun hobby shop didn't neither did the local Hobby Lobby (pretty neat place btw). I finally came up with using a wooden dowl and rolling some heavy foil I picked up from Mike at MFCA. Worked like a charm. The only dillema I had was, do I show that profile cross section? For one, the foil wasn't thick enough for scale and then I thought maybe that "feature" would detract the viewers eyes making them want to see "in the hole".

Big ol' pile of heads and armatures for the St. Privat project.