The angle of the groundwork in relation to the pose was very important. My goal, like Remington's painting, is to give the viewer that "roller-coaster" feel in their gut when looking at it. Giving the horse a tilt is not for the faint of heart. Too little of a tilt will not show fast motion. Too much tilt will look like the horse and rider are going to crash. Needless to say there was a lot of playing with the horse to get that nice balance.
Here's another ambitious mounted piece. This is based on a painting by Frederic Remington. The horse is from Airfix, the "2nd Dragoon 1815 (Scots Greys)" kit. I initially chose this horse because of the animation. But, I found the kit pose alone was not enough to reflect Remington's horse, so I had to do major reconstruction to the legs and neck. Yes, "Frankenhorse" is back.
Time for a change. As you can see there is not much elbow room with my paint carousel in the way. While I endured the necessary obstacle for years, I decided to make something more display functional and still easy to reach. Some cheap lumber ($15-$20) and an afternoon of constructing, I came up with this. I had to cut down on the amount of bottles (many duplicates) but this makes a paint selection much easier.
I live in the small town of Bath, Michigan with my wife and children.
I have been modeling figures for 25 plus years. Since I was a kid, I've always been fascinated by military uniforms of the past and soldier material culture. This then led me to express my interest through modeling figures from many time periods and scales.